My Top Five Films

I am currently rewatching the MCU films because, well, why not?  I tweeted about The Avengers being in my top 5 films of all time.  That got me thinking.  What does a film have to accomplish to make that list and what movies, exactly, are on my list?  Welcome to my top five films...


My Top 5

Before we get started, let me say that this list is ever-changing.  I may edit it tomorrow.  This list is also an ultimates kind of list.  I will likely write another post about top 5 animated films or top 5 MCU films, etc etc etc.

Let's first look at what a film has to do to make my top 5 list.

1. The film must entertain me on first viewing.  I don't want any slow burners.

2. The film must be consistently rewatchable.  We're talking the movie would make the desert island watching list. It can't be too light or too dark.

3. The film must speak to me personally.  In some way, it has to hit a nerve, good or bad.

Now that we have the prerequisites, let's look at what makes my top five movies of all time list.

In no particular order...

THE AVENGERS

The Avengers is the first team up film in the MCU and frankly, it lays the groundwork for everything that has come since.  Joss Whedon is a fabulous director and this film succeeds in uniting 4 different franchises while fleshing out characters.  It is consistently entertaining in its action sequences and humorous writing.  It's well acted and beautifully shot.

DIE HARD

Die Hard is a classic action flick that has not been replicated since.  A film from the eighties that continues to spark lively debate every holiday season.  For the record, it absolutely is a Christmas movie.  Fight me.  Introducing us to John McClane, this movie is gorgeous and gave us one of the greatest cinematic villains ever to grace our screens.

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

The Shawshank Redemption plays slow for many but the acting alone is enough to keep me coming back.  It's an oddity in the world of Stephen King but never disappoints.  Well acted and well written, this film has everything you want on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

HOOK

Hook is a beautiful ending to a magical trilogy you didn't know existed. I know a lot of people really hate this movie and I just don't understand why.  Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, and Bob Hoskins are absolute perfection.  You know you always wanted to see what happens after Peter grows up.  This film satisfies.  It just does.  It's funny, action packed, heartfelt, and stunningly beautiful.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Episode V is arguably the best Star Wars film ever made but if I could list the entire Star Wars series as one film, I would.  If you still have not seen this movie, I don't know what to say.  Action.  Romance. Humor.  Drama.  Tragedy.  Triumph.  It's a perfect 2nd act.

Honorable mentions include Trainspotting, The Little Mermaid, and Office Space but they don't quite hit every one of my requirements in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment