J. Riley Review

It's been a long time since I first visited J. Riley distillery and for some dumb reason, I never shared with you fine folks my thoughts on this local whiskey distillery.  Today, that's all going to change.

Just a little bit...
J. Riley Distillery is located in Redlands, CA in the same lot as one of my favorite breweries, Escape.  You can read about Escape Craft Brewery here.

J. Riley makes whiskey from local grain in small batches.  I have sampled everything they distill and I am happy to say it is all delicious.

The 1775 is their first offering providing a spicy whiskey taste that needs some time in the bottle before drinking.

Their bourbon is the kind you don't rush down your gullet.  It is everything a true bourbon should be though I find the higher proof version to be a bit harsh.

The California Clear is a young, white whiskey that drinks sweeter than it's counterparts.

They often do special versions depending on the time of year including an Apple Spice Whiskey, a deliciously high proof 50/50 bar whiskey beverage, and now distill gin and vodka which both meet my standards.

When I first went, they were new and the tastings took place in the industrial building where the distillers are.  They had a folding table setup and there was no formality to it.

Since then, they have grown and converted the entire space into a bar area and tasting room reminiscent of the speakeasies of the early 1900s.  The bar focuses on serving cocktails utilizing their many offerings and I have yet to find one I don't like.

If you're fortunate enough to find Jason or Doug there when you arrive, talk to them.  They have an obvious passion for what is going on there and it shows.  I have been lucky enough to do several barrel tastings which is an experience all its own.

Jason and I have similar personalities so we can give each other shit back and forth and then laugh over a sip.

This is a great local place run by awesome people and I have spent a small fortune on their products.  You should stop by, even if it's only for one drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment