Dries My Sack: YouTube Music

Welcome to the next entry in my, ongoing, op-ed. This series is titled "Dries My Sack" and can be compared to the Grinds My Gears segment in Family Guy Presents - Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. As I find things in life that piss me off, they'll become part of this series. The title for the series comes from a joke my father made while kayaking. I have a "Dry Sack" for keeping things dry during water sports and he made the joke that I should see a doctor. There you go...

A Perfectly fine music service is dead and gone.


You know what really dries my sack?

YouTube Music.

I am a longtime Google fan.  I am a stock holder.  I am typing this on Google owned Blogger via Google Chrome utilizing a Chromebook.  My entire movie collection is digital via Google TV.  My home has 7 Google Home Minis. 2 Google Nest Minis, 10 Google Smart Plugs, 1 Google Hub, 4 Google Chromecasts, and 26 Google Smart Bulbs.  My business contracts are done via Google Docs and Google Sheets and stored in Google Drive.  My transactions are made on a Google Pixel 4 running Google Android with Google Fi service via Google Pay, and my steps are tracked by a smart watch running Google Wear.

And that's just the beginning.

I also have my entire musical library uploaded to Google Play Music.  It's a perfectly usable app that allows me to make playlists, sort my music by genre, artist, album, and title, edit the metadata, playback on a variety of devices, download for offline play, and, up until a week ago, I could ask my Google Assistant to play any part of my collection on any of my devices with a simple voice command.

Enter the birth of YouTube Music;  The biggest mistake since Trump was elected President.

Now, we have been warned for months that YouTube Music would be replacing Google Play Music so I made sure to copy my library over in preparation and I tried it out here and there, noting the bugs and reporting to Google in the hopes that they would fix them all before the changeover completed.

I must be crazy to have thought that.

Here we are, mid October, and Google Play Music is officially defunct and YouTube Music is here to stay.

Unfortunately, YouTube Music is a pathetic shadow of it's predecessor.

Let's start simply...

YouTube Music seems to think they know more about what I want to listen to than I do.  In that they are more interested in my hearing their "expertly cultivated" playlists than MY OWN FUCKING LIBRARY.  Hey YouTube Music!  Here's a fucking tip:  I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO THE SAME 1000 SONGS I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO SINCE I WAS 15!  Not to mention they have removed batch selection so I have to add or subtract songs individually AND they have removed the ability to search by genre!  UGH!

Let's shuffle the conversation around a bit...

Both services offer a shuffle feature.  Unfortunately, YouTube Music's doesn't shuffle if playing from a downloaded playlist.  What does this mean?  Well, let's say I have a workout playlist with 100 songs in it.  Under Google Play Music, I could listen to the playlist on shuffle every morning during my 30 minute workout and hear a different 10 songs each day.  With YouTube Music, I hear the same damn 10 songs every single day.

Let's take the conversation on the road...

There is no app for Wear OS.  This means I have to carry my big ass phone when I exercise if I want music.

The whole thing has cast an ugly shadow on my listening experience...

I cast from my phone to a variety of smart devices.  This was never an issue with Google Play Music.  With YouTube Music, my cast is interrupted every so often with a warning telling me to continue casting, I have to upgrade to YouTube Music Premium at $10 a month.

FAT.  FUCKING. CHANCE.

I am just trying to be the voice of reason...

This brings me to the most egregious of errors on their part.  With Google Play Music, I could say, "Hey Google, shuffle Morning Mix on Top Floor" and Google would shuffle, differently each time I asked, my playlist called Morning Mix on all devices within the group called Top Floor.  Now if I ask, she responds that in order to do that, I need to pay them $10 a month.

Say it with me...

FAT.  FUCKING. CHANCE.

In what world should I be paying to listen to music I already own on a device I already paid for?  This equates to you buying a boombox in the 80's and a rockin' Paula Abdul cassette and being told you have to return to the record store each month to pay them to listen to it.

And that's what really dries my sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment