Must Do Activities on The Big Island

As you might know, I used to be a travel agent. More importantly, I am a self-proclaimed Hawaii expert. This post is about must do activities on The Big Island of Hawaii.  Remember, I don't ever tell you about things I have not done and I never make money off these recommendations.  If you have questions, leave me a comment!

There is plenty to do on the Big Island.  I have never explored the East coast including Hilo, but I hear it's a good lazy place to hang!  We will focus on the West and Southern coasts.
Donkey Balls

Donkey Balls is a quick stop when you're on your way to or from the Coffee Belt.  You do get to see the chocolates being made but I would hardly call it a tour.
Luau!

You should definitely do a luau at least once in your life.  I really enjoyed the near bottomless mai tais at the Royal Kona Resort.  The food is standard as is the entertainment, but it's a good starter luau.  I much prefer some Maui luaus, but this one gets the job done!
Hula Daddy!

I visited a few coffee farms in the Kona Coffee Belt but, Hula Daddy takes the cake!  The tour and samples are to die for and I am not even much of a coffee drinker!
Kona Brewing Company!

I wrote an in-depth review of this place here, but you should definitely make Kona Brewing Company a stop in Kona.  Beer is good and the tour is fun.
Place of Refuge

Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau, or Place of Refuge is a must stop on the Big Island.  You pay for your car to enter.  At last count, it was $5 per vehicle.  The self guided, uninhibited, tour is as revealing as it is majestic.  True beauty can be found here and you can easily spend several hours hiking around.  Pack a picinic lunch and go enjoy yourself!
South Point

South Point (Ka Lae) is the Southern most tip of the United States.  It's not in Florida, like is often claimed.  The word "continental" is a very important distinction.  South Point, Hawaii is one of my favorite experiences on earth.  The hiking is flat and offers gorgeous views.  The water is crystal clear but dangerous.  Don't do anything stupid.  Go take in the quiet nature as the loud waves crash below.  Just be careful!  I would hit this up on my way to Volcanoes National Park.
Black Sand Beach

Punaluu or Black Sand Beach is a fun stop with some rugged shore hikes and very unafraid turtles.  Remember, it's a federal offense to touch them.  Don't do it.  While I was very close for this picture, I still zoomed in as to not interfere with their lives.  It is located between South Point and Volcanoes National Park.  It's the perfect place to enjoy a picnic lunch!
Volcanoes National Park

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park is one of my favorite places on earth!  You absolutely must stop here and plan on spending several hours.  There are loads of hikes to do including the one above which takes you down into an active caldera and out through a rain forest.  It's so very rewarding!  There are lava tubes and museums and driving tours and walking tours and please...
Fire!

...Stay past sunset to check out the lava flows!

Something not pictured in this post is checking out the stargazing at Mauna Kea.  I cannot describe how small you'll feel on top this mountain staring up at the crystal clear sky and billions of stars.

There is so much more to do and I won't ever hit it all in my life but if you do half the stuff on this list and add a few adventures of your own, call it a successful trip!

Remember, there is a lot more to do on the island.  If you want me to plan the perfect itinerary for you, drop me an email.  A small fee will apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment