Breweries, Distilleries, and Wineries in Hawaii

Hey all!  Here's a little bonus post for your weekend!  I love Hawaii and I love drinking.  Putting these two things together is like heaven on Earth.  I have personally visited each location mentioned here.  I would never recommend a product that I don't personally love.  None of these locations are paying me to write about them. (but if they'd like to...I'm just saying.)  These truly are some of my favorite drinks in all the world and they just happen to be made in my favorite place.


Kona

Beautiful weather. Beautiful scenery.  Beautiful People.  Beauty is Hawaii in every way and I have had the overwhelming joy of experiencing the islands on multiple visits.  My wife and I are just a few short years away from moving there.

Now, we all know I like my drink and I have an appreciation for small-batch, locally grown and crafted wines, beers, and spirits.  This especially applies to product made in Hawaii as Hawaii needs these local products to sustain their economy.  With that in mind, I encourage you to purchase the products listed here if they're available near you, which many are.  More importantly, I want you to visit the distilleries, wineries, and breweries listed here on your next visit and definitely purchase a bottle of something that can't be found anywhere else in the world.

BREWERIES

Kona Brewing Company

Kona Brewing Company is located on the Big Island of Hawaii.  They also have a pub location on Oahu, but I am here to tell you about the brewery and pub on the Big Island, in Kailua-Kona.

The brewery began brewing over 20 years ago, before craft breweries were cool.  Since then, they have continued to grow at such a large rate that their beer hasn't been produced in Hawaii for some time.  Chances are that the Kona beer you're drinking, even there at the pub, was produced elsewhere.  That's not astonishing given how delicious the beer is, but business is business.  If you're anywhere but Hawaii, you can usually find, individually or in variety packs, their Longboard Lager, Big Wave Golden Ale, Firerock Pale Ale, and Castaway IPA.  That's a nice selection of bottled beers to satisfy any tastes.  They're also a nice way to bring the Aloha wherever you are.  Depending on the time of year, they also bottle and distribute Koko Brown Nut Brown Ale, Lemongrass Luau, and Pipeline Porter.

Their real reason they make the list is the brewery and pub.  The food is delicious pub fare including a fantastic array of pizzas and obviously there are some great draft only beers in addition to the bottled beers from above on draft.  The dining room can be a bit crowded, so plan accordingly.  For only $5, adults can tour the brewery, sample 4 beers, and take home a free gift.  Tours are available twice daily and you absolutely should book one before lunch and then take a growler or two back to your condo.

Maui Brewing Company

Maui Brewing Company is the first craft brewery I ever visited.  No, really.  They are responsible for getting me interested in craft beer.  They're located in Kihei, Maui, though the first time I ever visited them was in Lahaina before they expanded.  They also have a pub up in the Kahana Gateway Center.

Since the first visit, they've obviously grown and even started distributing their beer off island.  You can usually find Bikini Blonde, Coconut Hiwi Porter (My #1 Favorite All-Time Beer on Draft and in a can.), Big Swell IPA, and the Pineapple Mana Wheat at your local Bevmo.

Each of the 4 flagship beers are delicious in their own way but what draws me back to MBC over and over again is the love that goes into producing the beers.  Most craft breweries are designed around sustainability, but I think MBC pioneered it. A $15 tour gets you a full guided experience, tastings of the 4 flagship beers, a pint of your choosing, and a souvenir glass.  Tours are offered throughout the day and you could easily spend a meal time with food from a local truck inside the now massive tasting room.  Seriously, when I toured their old location, the tasting room held about 8 people.  It's now big enough to hold easily a hundred.  On our last trip to Maui, we spent 3 evenings inside the tasting room enjoying draft beers and making new friends.


DISTILLERIES

Hali'imaile Distilling Company

Located in the middle of pineapple and sugarcane country in Hali'imaile, Maui, the Hali'imaile Distilling Company was an accidental find that I can't believe I didn't know existed.  A few years prior to my first visit here, I dined across the street at the Hali'imaile General Store as part of the nearby Maui Pineapple Company tour.  (Both are highly recommended!)  While HDC had started up a good 10 years before that day, I assure you, they weren't there. Haha.

At any rate, fast forward to my first visit in 2015 and bam!  We saw a sign saying "Distillery Tour" or something to that effect.  We had a bit of time to kill before our next stop (Another distillery I will talk about next) so we decided to go check it out.  Thankfully we pulled in just in time to join the 10:00 am tour.  For $10, you get a 30-45 minute tour of the small facility and tastings of some of the delicious products.

Aside from the hometown feel of the venue and the great staff, the real surprise here is the wide variety of products this distillery offers.  Their flagship vodka, Pau Maui, is distilled from local pineapples and is also available off island for around $22/750ml bottles.  It's smooth and not what you're thinking.  It's not pineapple flavored vodka.  It's vodka.  Crisp and clean, as it should be.  They also offer, in limited, on island availability, Oak Aged and Cognac infused versions.

Did you think I was done?  No.  Why stop with vodka distilled from pineapples?  They go further with Sammy's Beach Bar Rum.  Also available off island at $29/750ml bottles, Sammy's is a rum distilled from local sugarcane in partnership with Sammy Hagar.  Yes, that Sammy Hagar.  It is a delicious rum and know that I never say this about rum...it's great for sipping.  They also offer, in limited, on island availability, a macadamia/cherry/coconut infused "Red Head" and a just released Kola spiced rum.

Think I am done?  Still no.  They expanded their vodka line to include a variety of flavored vodkas under the Maui Moon name.  Talk about Hawaii in a bottle.  At only $23/750ml bottles, these flavored vodkas are only available on island, so if you're there, pick me up some, because I am out!  Of the three available flavors, Passion-Orange-Guava (POG) is my favorite.  Hibiscus and Chocolate Macadamia Nut are also fine additions to your bar.

I am still not done.  They also have a very fine whiskey called Paniolo Whiskey.  You know I love my whiskey and I am very particular about it.  I would enjoy a glass of theirs any day of the week.  Sadly, I am out and it's only available on island at $37/750ml bottles so again, if you're there, I'd love a bottle.  They start with the same pineapple distillate that the flagship vodka is made from and blend it with good Kentucky Bourbon before aging it in the adorable mustache barrels you'll find in the tasting room.  It goes down smooth and is perfect on the rocks or  mixed in your favorite cocktail.

They have apparently just released FID Street Gin as well but as it's such a new product, I haven't tried it nor can I offer much info other than it's $42/750ml bottles and is only available there.  If it follows the same quality and aloha as their other products, I am sure it's great!

Hawaii Sea Spirits

Hawaii Sea Spirits is a fantastic, family owned, distillery in Upcountry, Maui.  Their main product is Ocean Vodka, an organic vodka distilled from sugarcane instead of potato and is blended with deep sea mineral water.  That makes it gluten free.  It also means it's a crisp, smooth vodka finish with a very subtle sweetness making it the only vodka I would ever drink on the rocks.  Available all over, it runs about $30/750ml adorable round bottles.  The vodka is distilled with a fully sustainable approach and in a custom column tower process.

The company also produces a delicious Deep Island Hawaiian Rum.  You won't find it mentioned anywhere on their website because it has it's own. Deep Island Hawaiian Rum is not available anywhere but there at $30/750ml bottles.  Dubbed "Wave", this clear rum uses the same ingredients as the vodka but the distilling process is different.  It goes down smooth and blends nicely in any rum-based cocktail.

The real reason they've earned a spot on this list is the tour and the location.  At 80 acres, the farm is situated beautifully among sugarcane fields.  You have a 180 degree view of both the South and North coasts of Maui from their picnic bluff.  The sugarcane is harvested by hand and there's a lovely martini garden to explore.

The tour is one of the most fantastic tours I've ever experienced.  $10 gets you the tour, where I learned more about the distilling process than I thought possible, tastings of their products, and a souvenir shot glass.  For $15 more per person and advanced reservations, they'll throw in a picnic lunch that you can eat overlooking the central valley and coasts of Maui.  The lunch was a simple deli sandwich, chips, and a drink from a local grocery store, but the experience of the breeze, quiet bluff, and views are worth every penny.


WINERIES

Maui's Winery

Maui's Winery is located way Upcountry at Ulupalakua Ranch and Vineyards on Maui.  Much as MBC was responsible for my craft beer affair, Maui Wine is 100% responsible for my palate opening up to wines.  (Take note Temecula, you owe them!)  They produce many different wines but are best known for their pineapple wine.  While not readily available on the mainland, they may ship to you via online ordering.  Their Maui Splash is definitely one of my favorites but seriously, they have a wide variety to choose from.

They offer complimentary tastings daily between 10:00 am and 5:30 pm and free tours daily at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm.  They also have a new King's Visit which offers a more in-depth tasting, tour, and pairings at $50/person.  I have not done this experience yet.  It's my recommendation that you head up there mid-day and start across the street with a local elk burger from the Ulupalakua Ranch Store.  Yes, I said elk burger and it's freaking delicious.  After lunch, head over to the winery for a free tour and tasting.  Then spend the money to take a few bottles back with you.


Volcano Winery

Located in Volcano (the city) on the Southern slopes of the Big Island, Volcano Winery makes a great stop on your way to or from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.  The wines aren't readily available unless you're there or you want to see if they;ll ship to you via online ordering.  They have a lovely selection of local wines including my favorites: Macadamia Nut Honey and Hawaiian Guava Grape.

The winery and tasting room is located on the rainy slopes of Mauna Loa and offer a rustic place to enjoy a tasting.  At this time, tours are not available, but for $5, you get a standard flight or you can upgrade to the premium flight for $3 more.  They also have a fine selection of cheeses to pair with your flight.  After your flight, order a glass of your favorite to enjoy while you explore the store and the grounds.


THANKS

Thank you for reading my recommendations of the best, local, breweries, distilleries, and wineries on the islands.  Let me know what your experience at each one is like and remember, gifts of alcohol are always welcome. Remember, there is a lot more to do on the islands.  If you want me to plan the perfect itinerary for you, drop me an email.  A small fee will apply.

Mahalo and aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment