Christmas

It's that magical time of year when I can spot my house from 3 blocks away.  That's right!  It's Christmas!  What's Christmas mean exactly?  Why do we celebrate?  How do I celebrate?  Let's check out answers to these questions!

A preview...

 For a very long time I would tear down Halloween decorations on November 1st and quickly put up Christmas decorations, skipping Thanksgiving altogether.  The Christmas decorations would stay up until January 6th.  (Epiphany)  There is a good reason for this.  1.  I never really considered Thanksgiving a great holiday.  You can read about why here.  (NEW WINDOW) 2. I have a standing gig every year that keeps me pretty busy during the week before Thanksgiving through the week before Christmas and that never left time to decorate.  Two years ago, we started decorating for Thanksgiving and I just find the time to get Christmas decor up.

 Decorating is a three day process.  Day 1 is indoors.  Day 2 and 3 are outdoors.  Occasionally I can get it done in two days.  I take great pride in making my house my own little version of the National Lampoon house.  Obviously, I never quite hit that level of crazy but I do remain proud.  Throughout this post, you'll get to see pictures of my decor.

Before we discuss my crazy traditions, let's look at what Christmas is and why we celebrate it.

Traditionally speaking, Christians have celebrated Christmas day as the anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ.  The 12 days of Christmas begin on Christmas day and run through Epiphany, the day the Three Kings arrived to greet the baby Jesus.

 In the secular world, and for much longer than 2016 years, the Winter Solstice has been a time of celebration worldwide.  Putting the Christian Holiday in December increased the chances that the church's celebration would be accepted by the secular crowds as well.  Many Christmas traditions honored in Christian households are actually secular traditions making the so-called "War on Christmas" a non-issue.

 Regardless of your beliefs or the history of the traditions, we can all agree that it's a magical time of year to celebrate.  December includes many holidays like Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, and Christmas.  It's a time to relax and cherish your family and friends.

 It's a time to enjoy festive drinks and yummy treats.  It's a warmth in your heart that spreads to others.  In general, I wish that people would stop being such dicks about the holidays.  If I want to respect everyone's beliefs by saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", just enjoy the well wishing!  The Religion, specific Holiday, or individual belief IS NOT what's important.  What's important is that feeling of joy that comes from this time of year.

Regardless of how you choose to celebrate the season, head out and be merry!  Enjoy the food and drink.  Enjoy the lights and decor!  Enjoy the people and the moments!

There is a lot of bad in the world...especially in 2016...so take the month to forget about the hang ups.  Take the month to share and care.  It will make you smile.

That standing gig I mentioned above? It's called "Christmas Is..." at the Haugh Performing Arts Center.  It's a show I had been going to since I was a small child and for the last 19 years, I have helped bring the magic to other families.  I am always the Assistant Stage Manager and I trade many better paying gigs to keep this one on my books because I genuinely enjoy the experience.  Buy tickets and come see a show.  I will throw in a free backstage tour afterwards!

A great side effect of doing 19 years of the show is I occasionally get set pieces that aren't going to be reused to add to my own Christmas decor. A dear colleague of mine is the best scenic designer in the business and I am proud to display his work!

I take my decorating seriously because I have done 19 years of stage magic.  I strive to make my house a production.  That is what makes the holidays for me.  That feeling of coming home to the glow of twink lights warms my heart.

So no matter what your thoughts are on how to express your Holiday greetings, just do it!  Be happy!  Be peaceful!  Be full and warm and kind and loving!  I will leave you with pictures from the exterior of my house and wish you a very happy holiday season!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Bilbo, and happy New Year; Oh, John Patrick said you could have the candy canes street lamps, hopefully they make it to your always fantastic display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a very Merry Christmas to you! They absolutely will next year!

      Delete