A Day at Magic Mountain's Holiday in the Park

Six Flag's Magic Mountain has never really been known for their family friendly attitude.  In fact, I have always maintained that Disneyland is where you take a date, Knott's Berry Farm is where you go with family, and Magic Mountain is where you go with friends.  Magic Mountain has changed in the last few years with their Holiday in the Park celebration.

Good Times!

Holiday in the Park boasts Christmas themed attractions and costumed characters as well as Holiday treats and meals.  You can meet Santa and Mrs. Claus and create Holiday crafts.  You can win DC Comics themed Santa Hats.  Most impressive though, is nightfall, when a million twink lights illuminate the park.  It really is a Winter Wonderland.

We have been members for several years and make sure we attend Holiday in the Park each year.  We drink unlimited cocoa and coffee in our special mugs and sample delicious holiday themed meals including this year's holiday hot dog.  It is a turkey dog, grilled, and topped with stuffing and cranberry sauce.  It is delicious in every way you can imagine.

My youngest son, Tyler is not a member because he does not really like coasters but he joins us every year for this day.  We just love walking the park to be honest.  Disney always gets the credit for best Christmas overlay but Magic Mountain improves each year and they are quickly catching up.

It was raining this year which was great because only about a thousand people showed up.  We waited no more than 5 minutes for most rides including Twisted Colossus, twice.  Sure, we got a little wet, but my inner event planner told me to pack ponchos this morning and we were just fine.

We also took in a fantastic show called Kwerkmas in the Gleampunk District.  It was a beautifully put together Cirque-style show.  Why is my mentioning this a big deal?  Because.  For those that know me, you know I hate theatre...that's to say that I hate attending it.  I work it every day so why would I want to do it in my off time?  My other problem is that I always find things wrong with shows I see because I always think I, or one of my colleagues, could have done it better.  The truth is, I couldn't find anything wrong with this show.  It's 25 minutes of acrobatics, silks, trampolines, dance, and music.  It's a good time.

We went on Full Throttle, Goliath, Twisted Colossus, SandBlasters, GoldRusher, Apocolypse, Twisted Colossus again, and the Great American Carousel.  Add to that the show, 2 meals, a snack, and the evening light show in DC Universe and strolling through the festive park and meeting Santa and I would call it a successful 6 hours in the park.

If you can, stop by and check it out.  It's worth the trip.  It does end on December 31st, but there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment