Helpful Hobbit: Bilbo's Famous Chili: Crestline Edition

Welcome to the ongoing series here at Bilbo's Hobbit Hole called "HELPFUL HOBBIT".  This series may or may not be helpful.  Some may be very sarcastic.  If you want to sound like a moron, call this series, "LIFE HACKS".  Either way, enjoy...

Bilbo's Famous Chili: Crestline Edition



I didn't set out to write about food on this blog. I am not a professional chef.  I am just a decent home cook most of the time. But, since I enjoy food and drink so much, people rave about my Kalua pork, and my family seems to love what I cook, here it is. A good recipe is always worth sharing.

I have been making chili for the better part of 2 decades and the recipe has been tweaked again and again until I got it to what I call perfect.  Here's the thing though, I don't use recipes and I never write them down.  I go off memory and heart.  

I have spent 3 years changing and tweaking it for our mountain lifestyle.

What does that mean?

Lowerish calories, hearty, warming, and still delicious.

I present to you, Bilbo's Famous Chili: Crestline Edition

Ingredients:
1 1/2# ground beef (dealers choice on fat content) 1062kcal
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, yellow) 154kcal
1 sweet onion 92kcal
1/2 pineapple 113kcal
5 jalapenos 61kcal
29oz stewed tomatoes 210kcal
15oz tomato sauce 175kcal
Secret seasonings (You're an adult. Season how you like or use a chili seasoning packet.) 120kcal

Prep time: 30 minutes

Cook time: 8 hours

Makes four servings, 467 calories per serving. 

DIRECTIONS:
Dice the onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno.
Brown the meat and half of the onion.
Put it all in the slow cooker. Add the other half of the diced onion, seasonings and diced pineapple along with stewed tomatoes and sauce.
Cook on low for 8 hours, tasting every 2 or so for seasoning needs.
Serve topped with raw onion, cheese, scallions, green onion, bacon bits, sour cream, avocado, or anything else your heart desires. (Note that toppings add calories!)

For the OG version of my famous chili, click here!

Hopefully this Hobbit has Helped you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment