Helpful Hobbit: Bilbo's Famous Chili

Welcome to the ongoing series here at Bilbo's Hobbit Hole called "HELPFUL HOBBIT".  This series may or may not be helpful.  Some may be very sarcastic.  If you want to sound like a moron, call this series, "LIFE HACKS".  Either way, enjoy...

"World" famous might be a stretch


I didn't set out to write about food on this blog. I am not a professional chef.  I am just a decent home cook most of the time. But, since I enjoy food and drink so much, people rave about my Kalua pork, and my family seems to love what I cook, here it is. A good recipe is always worth sharing.

I have been making chili for the better part of 2 decades and the recipe has been tweaked again and again until I got it to what I call perfect.  Here's the thing though, I don't use recipes and I never write them down.  I go off memory and heart.  I was making my chili for meal prep this week and had to tweak some ingredients in order to keep it filling, but low calorie and I thought I would write it down for y'all since I get asked all the time what is in my chili.  My world famous chili.

(It's famous in my own little world of friends and family, so it counts!)

WARNING: I make spicy chili!

Now, since I added some ingredients to stretch it out and keep it low calorie, I am going to separate those from the regular ingredients.  I will be giving quantities and calories for this SPECIFIC batch though.  Keep in mind, that when you remove the added ingredients mentioned below, the calorie count gets higher and the number of servings gets lower.

This chili makes 10 servings as shown in the image above.  It's 10 pretty filling lunches when paired with a side salad and topped with 18g of raw brown diced onion.  Each serving rings in at only 304 calories! (Remember that I am not a nutritionist and calorie counts are only based on my count for this specific recipe.)

Have I babbled long enough to piss people off that were just looking for a simple recipe on the internet?

STANDARD INGREDIENTS:
87oz. canned diced low sodium tomatoes, drained (525c)
24oz. jarred hot sliced pickled jalapenos, drained (60c)
3lb. ground turkey, browned, seasoned, drained; shrinks to roughly 2 pounds when cooked (1448c)
300g. orange and red bell pepper, seeded and diced; roughly 2 bell peppers (92c)
250g. brown onion, diced; roughly 1 onion (100c)
24oz. lager or ale. I used non alcoholic this time because we are on a 4 week, no drink challenge (264c)

SPICES I NEVER MEASURE:
habanero flakes
chili powder
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
paprika
salt (just a little bit)

ADDED INGREDIENTS FOR THIS SPECIFIC BATCH:
750g zucchini, quartered and diced; roughly 5 medium zucchinis (123c)
1lb. carrot, sliced (175c)
500g. pineapple, diced; roughly 1 medium pineapple, with juice (250c)

DIRECTIONS:
Put it all in the slow cooker if yours is large enough.  I have to use a giant tamale pot for this size batch.
BTB (Bring to boil)
RTS (Reduce to simmer)
Cook on low for 6-8 hours tasting at the 2 hour and midway mark for seasoning needs.
Serve topped with raw onion, cheese, scallions, green onion, bacon bits, sour cream, avocado, or anything else your heart desires. (Note that toppings add calories!)

Hopefully this Hobbit has Helped you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment