Who Am I? A 40 Year Old

Welcome to my ongoing section about who I am. Each post will contain just one segment of my life. This is a way for you, my reader, to get to know me for more than the blogger on the internet that complains about Trump. Why name the series "Who Am I?" Simple. I love Les Miserables. "Who Am I?" is my favorite song from my favorite musical. So, who am I? I am...
Yup
...a 40 year old man.

I have neglected this blog and since day one I made no promises about how often I would post but here we are.  Something has struck a chord in my brain and I felt the need to write it down.

I turn 40 tomorrow.  (March 27th, 2019 for anybody reading this any other day but the day I wrote it.)

I remember when my dad turned 40...well...no...I don't.  I remember gold and black decorations that said OVER THE HILL and in high school I didn't know or care what that means.

I am not sure 40 means anything to me now.  My body began its decay the day I hit 30.  My hairline a good 9 years prior.  I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, achy joints, a risk for heart disease and diabetes, and my vision sucks and my teeth are rotting out of my mouth.

But you know what?  I have lived with all of this decline for 10 years now.

It's nothing new.

I always imagined 40 to be this big scary number.  Look at the image above...

OVER THE HILL

That means it's supposed to be all downhill from here.  The connotation being that the decline will speed up.  Over the hill is supposed to be a bad thing.

But why?

When I was a kid, we climbed hills for the joy of rolling down them, grass staining our jeans, faster and faster each time.

That sounds awesome.

I have two living parents that I actually enjoy hanging out with.

I have an 18 year old son that is working his way towards a culinary career.

I have a 14 year old son that gets more academic awards each year than I got in all of my schooling.

I have an amazing wife that I have been with for 11 years.

We all work together on a regular basis and it's fun.

I have an amazing circle of friends that laughs and cries with me.  Some of which got to watch me throw up Sunday at the surprise party my wife threw me.

I am living in a time when the MCU exists.

I work for myself, setting my own hours and my own terms, and I am successful at it.

I am still friends with a select few from high school.

I am still friends with my "oldest" friend and first girlfriend.

I travel regularly on cruises, to Alaska, to Hawaii, to San Diego, Arizona, and Nevada.

Sure, there are some bad days and sure every torn muscle makes me think I am having a heart attack.  Sure, I can injure myself getting out of bed.  Sure I have to watch what I eat now.  Sure, the government is currently a shitshow.

Sure, mortality is a scary thought.

But you know what?

Life is fucking awesome.  I am the luckiest guy on the planet.

I am ready to put on my best jeans against my mother's wishes and roll down that hill.

I am ready to kick the forties right in the ass.

As my oldest would say:

We're here for a good time, not a long time.

You know what?  I am having a GREAT time!

Thanks for being a part of my time on this spinning ball of dust floating in a massive universe.

See you at 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment