Who Am I? An Assistant Stage Manager

Welcome to my ongoing section about who I am.  Each post will contain just one segment of my life.  This is a way for you, my reader, to get to know me for more than the blogger on the internet that complains about Trump. Why name the series "Who Am I?"  Simple.  I love Les Miserables.  "Who Am I?" is my favorite song from my favorite musical.  So, who am I?  I am...

Wizard of Oz

...An Assistant Stage Manager

This is a role I take on most often at the Haugh Performing Arts Center in addition to many Southern California venues.  So what does it mean?

It means I run the deck.  I work, under the Stage Manager, to ensure shifts and flies happen the way they should to best enhance the performance for an audience.

Typically, I lay out a schedule of events that will have to take place during each performance in order to get from scene to scene.  I then assign those events to crew members and train them on how to best complete those tasks in the most efficient order.  Duties also include dealing with cast and crew conflicts before they escalate and helping solve all cast issues as they relate to the production.  I am usually the first responder for injuries and in charge of general safety on deck.

ASMing, as we call it, is not a creative position but it requires quick thought, leadership, and the ability to solve problems before they happen.  Often, it is stressful, but I have so much fun doing it.

At the end of the day, my goal is that you, the audience, have no idea how we created the magic you just watched.  You don't know it, but when you applaud, it's for us as much as it is for the performers.  If you need an Assistant Stage Manager, visit my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment