Dries My Sack: Late People

Welcome to the next entry in my, ongoing, op-ed. This series is titled "Dries My Sack" and can be compared to the Grinds My Gears segment in Family Guy Presents - Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. As I find things in life that piss me off, they'll become part of this series. The title for the series comes from a joke my father made while kayaking. I have a "Dry Sack" for keeping things dry during water sports and he made the joke that I should see a doctor. There you go...

Don't Be Late
You know what really dries my sack?

Late People.

You know who you are and you know what you do.

You're some of the most despicable people on the planet.

Now, I'm not talking about that one time you were late because your wife went into labor and you had to drop by the hospital on your way in.

I'm not talking about that time that there was a 20 car pile up right in front of you on the freeway and it turned into a 5 hour SIG Alert and you were just enough past the previous exit that there's literally nothing you could have done short of getting out of your car, abandoning the vehicle, and running to work.

I am talking about the people that are always late.  The chronically late people.

A few examples:

I had a colleague that would regularly show up 15 minutes or more late for her theatre calls.  She always had an excuse and that excuse was always "Parking was bad.  I had to park far way."  Let me let you in on a little secret:

If you can say "Parking was bad.  I had to park far away." every single shift you work, it means YOU KNOW PARKING WILL BE BAD AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PARK FAR AWAY so you should probably LEAVE YOUR HOUSE EARLIER!!!!!

I have some in-laws that are ALWAYS running late for stuff.  Like, ALWAYS!  That's not an exaggeration.  They never have a reason.  They are just bad at managing their time.  It's terrible:

If you tell someone you'll be there at 3:00 pm, then you plan your day to arrive at 3:00 pm.  You DON'T leave your house that's 25 minutes away at 3:00 pm!!!!

I have another colleague that ALWAYS claims she's late because of traffic.

Hey!  Traffic is a thing!  It always is.  You're not late because of traffic.  You're late because you neglected to account for traffic in your routine.

So why do I despise people that are chronically late?

Simple.

When you are chronically late for anything, it tells me that you think your time is more valuable than mine.

Guess what?

It's not!

I assure you that your time is not more valuable than mine.

So here's the deal people:

Learn to manage your time better.  It's not complicated.  Leave earlier.  I don't care what you have to do but being late is unacceptable.  Fix it.

And that's what really dries my sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment