My Anniversary

Today is my 2nd wedding anniversary.  I married my best friend on March 24th, 2015 at Kikaua Point on the Big Island of Hawaii.  It was one of the greatest days of my life and I am going to recount it to you now.
Happy anniversary!

We had a simple wedding on a quiet beach in Hawaii.  My father married us.  My sister-in-law took our photos.  My brother sang a song and played the ukulele.  My youngest was my groomsman and my oldest walked my bride down the aisle.  My mom tried not to cry.  The ceremony lasted all of 10 minutes.  It was perfect.  If you want to relive the trip, click here and scroll all the way down and then work your way back up.

Here we are, two years later and she's just as beautiful, funny, kind, and sweet.  I am just as in love as I was on that day.  I find myself looking back on the vows we said to one another that day.

Hers to me were as follows:

"Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters. It’s the person.

If I believe in one thing, just one thing, I believe in you. There is nobody else I would rather journey through life with.

You stole me and I stole you and I will never give you back.

No matter where we end up, I will stand beside you; to remind you who you are and to look impressed when you are being extremely clever.

I will go with you. I made my choice long ago. I am never leaving you.

I will travel along with you to the end of the world; to the end of the universe; through all of time and space, I am your Companion.

Together, or not at all."

And mine to her:

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. And you definitely add to my pile of good things and make the bad things easier to handle.

On this day I ask simply...

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you — It won't be quiet and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: the trip of a lifetime and throughout our adventures together, I'll protect you, lead you, follow you, and cherish you.

I promise to be your last Centurion through all of time and space. I promise to burn up suns when necessary just to make you smile. With all my heart, I will forever be the doctor to your companion."

For the uninitiated, those are both heavily influenced by Doctor Who and no, we didn't discuss them ahead of time.

We have both done an amazing job of adhering to these vows.  I am the luckiest man on Earth and I cannot wait to wake up each day just to continue the adventure together.

Happy anniversary to my wife, my friend, my Companion!

Love,

Your Doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment