How Social Media Killed the Holiday Letter

It's that magical time of year when your mailbox is flooded by cards from family and friends.  The cards regularly include two page letters informing you of the year's achievements.  Occasionally a photo or two is included.  Except that it's 2016 and the Holiday letter is dead.  But why?

I think we sent these out one year.


We used to send these out.  Each member of the family got a paragraph dedicated to their accomplishments for the year.  A few photos were included in the snappy letter that my dad, and then myself, had a blast editing in whatever version of Microsoft Word was popular that year.

We would get many in return.  We even had special Christmas holders that displayed them.  Sometimes, we would just tape them up in the shape of a Christmas Tree.  We also regularly poked fun at some of the bragging that went on in them.  Why did Aunt So-and-So think she was special for doing thing one and why did Mr. and Mrs. Blah Blah feel the need to share thing two?

Oh the narcissism.

Suddenly, it seems that all but a few stopped sending them.  Sure, I have a few friends that send out a simple card or postcard and maybe a photo, but nearly nobody sends out that Holiday letter anymore.

Why?

I blame Facebook.  And by Facebook, I mean any Social Media site.

See, we daily tell people about the achievements in our lives.  Daily.  I am pretty sure, in the last 7 days, I have told you about a dream I had, a meal or two I have eaten, my opinions on Trump, and what I watched on TV. I did all of this in 140 characters or less.  Sometimes you clicked "like" and sometimes you even clicked "reply" but let's be real, you don't give a shit.  Neither do I.  We're pre-programmed now to share everything daily and we expect it to be shared.  So when the end of the year comes around, we've already told you everything.  There is no need for the letter.

Sure, I will likely write a "Year in Review" blog post in the coming weeks that will resemble the Holiday letter of yore, but it's not the same.

Social Media killed the Holiday letter.  We are all complacent in the murder.

So let me close with this...

From my family to yours, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Love,  The Braggins Family

No comments:

Post a Comment