Our Home Bar Favorites

For anybody that has been to our home, you know full well that we like our drink.  We're not alcoholics.  We just enjoy the occasional large beverage with dinner on a day ending in "Y".  We enjoy everything from wine to craft beer to a margarita to bourbon on the rocks.  We regularly try new brands and flavors and concoctions but, like most, we have our favorites.


Booze, Glorious Booze!

This post is going to highlight some of my favorite alcohols.  Future posts will highlight local craft beers, local fine wines, and delicious eateries, but this one is just about the booze.  My tastes, while sophisticated, recognize the importance of budget.  This list is very budget friendly but will meet the needs of snooty connoisseurs.

Whiskies

Whiskies is a tough category because it includes a lot of alcohols.  Many people don't realize the differences between Scotch, Rye, Canadian, Tennessee, Irish, and Bourbon.  So, since I am not writing for snobs, I am going to lump them all under whiskies, because, at their core, they are all varieties of whiskey.

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey Whiskey


A smooth blend of Old No. 7 and honey makes this inexpensive Tennessee style whiskey perfect for drinking on the rocks.  Just remember, it's so smooth, you can easily drink more than you should.

Buffalo Trace Bourbon 


A fine bourbon made in the same distillery as the far more expensive and superior Eagle Rare, it's by no means, a bad bourbon.  It is a great mixing bourbon and fine on the rocks with a splash of water.

2 Gingers Irish Whiskey


I had the pleasure of tasting this for the first time at an Irish festival and I haven't looked back.  It's cost effective and delicious straight, on the rocks, and mixed with ginger-ale.

Johnnie Walker Black Blended Scotch


I have had the pleasure of tasting over 15 varieties of Johnnie Walker including some that cost $150/shot at a bar and some that are $3000/bottle in a duty free store.  Sure, those are far superior to Black BUT this is a budget friendly list!  Black mixes just fine and sips well too.

Paniolo Blended Hawaiian Whiskey

Sadly, this product is currently only available in Hawaii.  I had the pleasure of touring the distillery and I can tell you this blended bourbon and pineapple whiskey is amazing straight and mixed.  They also have brown sugar, coffee, and chocolate coconut flavors.  All are delicious. If you're in Hawaii and can pick me up a bottle of each, I am out.

Rums

Rum has always been a favorite alcohol of mine.  It's great for mixing and pairs nicely with a wide variety of mixers.  From spiced to white to gold to flavored, here's my list of rums.

Bacardi Superior Rum

A simple white rum that does it's job for the money.  Don't expect deep flavor or subtle notes.  This rum is being mixed so who cares?  The price is right!

Bacardi Gold Rum

A simple gold rum that does it's job for the money.  Don't expect deep flavor or subtle notes.  This rum is being mixed so who cares?  The price is right!

Deep Island Hawaiian Rum

Sadly, this product is currently only available in Hawaii.  I had the pleasure of touring the distillery and I can tell you this rum is deliciously made with organic sugar cane, deep sea well water from off the coast of the Big Island, and a lot of heart. If you're in Hawaii and can pick me up a bottle, I am out.

Sammy's Beach Bar Rum

Very rarely do I say a rum is suitable for sipping or drinking on the rocks, but this Hawaiian Rum fits the bill. It has tropical hints of Coconut and banana but doesn't overpower your mixed drink.  It's also available in a delicious macadamia and cherry variety called, Red Head.

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

A go to spiced rum that is easy on the wallet.  This is the only rum you should be mixing with Coke.  It also pears nicely in mai tai style beverages.

Malibu Original

A fine coconut liqueur mixed with a Caribbean rum makes this low alcohol content rum great for mixing with juices. You won't spend a fortune for a delicious rum.

Vodkas

I never really drank vodka until I went on a cruise to Alaska with some friends.  One of my friends kept ordering vodka tonics.  One evening, she couldn't finish hers so she gave it to me.  Instantly, I found a new drink of choice.

Grey Goose

My primary choice when it comes to vodka, it's a little pricier but won't leave you with a headache.  Straight vodkas like this should be mixed with something, be it tonic or vermouth, lemonade or juice.  They make a variety of flavors.

Ocean Vodka

This organic vodka is made in Maui and instead of being distilled from potatoes like other vodkas, it's made from sugarcane.  I have toured the distillery and this vodka comes close to taking over as my favorite vodka.  It's​ finally available off-island and comes in an adorable round bottle.

Pau Maui Vodka

A Maui vodka distilled from pineapple doesn't have a pineapple flavor but a clean finish the way vodka should be.  They also have an oak barrel aged version and a cognac based version.  I have toured the distillery and cannot recommend this product enough. The two infusions are only available at the distillery. If you're in Hawaii and can pick me up a bottle of each, I am out.

Maui Moon Vodka

Another entry from Maui and yes, I have been to this distillery too.  This vodka comes in 3 distinct flavors including Hibiscus, Pineapple-Orange-Guava, and Chocolate Macadamia Nut.  All three are delicious and, sadly, all three are only available in Hawaii so, if you're in Hawaii and can pick me up a bottle of each, I am out.

Other Alcohols

Every good home bar gets rounded out with tequilas, gins, mixers and liqueurs.  These are usually used inside mixed drinks and we don't really maintain a collection of favorites.  Whatever is on sale and won't give you a headache in the morning will work.  Remember this important note, price does not always equate quality.  Don't be afraid to try an inexpensive gin or tequila.  Experiment with mixes and ratios.  Drinking is as much about entertaining as it is about the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment