St. Patrick's Day

March 17th.  I bet you're going to drink a green beer tonight, right?  I bet you're wearing green right now.  But why?  What is St. Patrick's Day?  Why do we celebrate it?
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

It starts with Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.  He wasn't even Irish.  But he called Ireland his home.  His Irish name was Padraig.  And no, he didn't get rid of all the snakes in Ireland.  There were never snakes there to begin with.  Somehow, celebrating his life and his religious accomplishments turned into an excuse to get green wasted in America.

It started as a feast day for him and America turned it into a party in the mid 1700s.  Then we decided wearing green helped ward off pinching leprechauns.  Man, I wish I was making this up.  We added shamrocks and the "traditional" Irish meal of corned beef and cabbage (HINT: the Irish don't eat this.) and then started dyeing beer and rivers green.

So, you see, it's an American holiday, but you know what?  I look good in green, I like beer, and I love corned beef and cabbage, so Éirinn go Brách!

Oh and while we're at it, it's PADDY not PATTY!  Stop being a moron.

No comments:

Post a Comment