A Eulogy for Grandma

Well, today's post is not about a joyful topic. It's not the kind of post I enjoy writing. It's not even a post I think I should write.  We lost grandma today, just shy of her 97th birthday.  My last living grandparent. She hadn't been grandma for some time given the memory loss so I don't want to talk about how she died.  Instead, let me tell you how she lived...
At 89
My grandmother was one of the most supportive people I knew.  From a young age to well into my adulthood, she never said no.

I remember teaching her to skip.

I remember living with her for a bit.

I remember eating out with her at least once a week growing up.

I remember holidays at her house.

I remember trips to Florida and Hawaii with her and uncountable trips to the Sahara in Vegas.

I remember taking my "Going to Grandmas" suitcase over to spend the night.

I remember her seeing my shows.

I remember the ludicrous amount of gifts under her tree.

I remember her Pink Mickey Mouse themed bathroom.

I remember trying to teach her how to use a computer.

I remember helping put up her Christmas lights.

I remember teaching her how to use the Diablo.

I remember hunting for Easter eggs in her backyard.

I remember her driving to pick me up.

I remember her taking my girlfriend home.

I remember every single time a siren would go past her house and she would call to make sure we were ok and that it wasn't for us.

I remember her stories.

I remember her waxed floor.

I remember the stockings that were 3 feet long.

I remember that crazy cupboard full of party supplies.

I remember visiting her at work at the Bullocks in Pasadena.

I remember every overbearing hug.

I remember how weird I thought her adding celery to salads was and I remember how I now don't like salads without celery.

I remember the chili sauce covered cream cheese log.

I remember her Wizard of Oz collection.

I remember her old and out of tune piano.

I remember every dollar she ever gave me.

I remember being bounced on her knee.

I remember that she always had gum.  Always.

In my grief, a few memories lapsed and my brother Matt reminded me of them...

I remember getting a buck a bag for raking up her yard (we scored like $20 every time).

I remember watching her care for her rose bushes.

I remember her elephant collection.

I remember her coins in the bottom of the trash can.

I remember warmed up Grape Nuts.

I remember strong coffee that you could "pave the driveway with".

I remember her specifically chosen outfits and colors depending on when and where she was going.

I remember the first time she let me drive HER in HER car!

I remember her giving me her car provided I was her chauffeur when she could no longer drive.

I remember the hugs, kisses, smiles, and genuine conversations.

I remember her caring for and feeding "her" cats.

I remember her "allergy" to rubber and the large collection of rubber bands outside her front door.

I remember the time we came home prematurely from a vacation and she caught Cousin Troy throwing a party.

My grandma, who always jokingly called me her favorite, was an amazing woman and because of her, I have had a pretty amazing life.

I remember never not feeling like the most important person in her life.

I like to imagine that in her youth she was Lucille Ball and that's the real reason I enjoy "I Love Lucy" so much.

I know that in the last few years she couldn't remember me but Grandma, I will ALWAYS remember you.

All my love.

We love you.

I remember this smile.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute to what have been a truly amazing lady. May your family all find peace, comfort and strength through your love and faith!

    ReplyDelete