Who Am I? A Choreographer

Welcome to my new, ongoing section about who I am.  Each post will contain just one segment of my life.  This is a way for you, my reader, to get to know me for more than the blogger on the internet that complains about Trump. Why name the series "Who Am I?"  Simple.  I love Les Miserables.  "Who Am I?" is my favorite song from my favorite musical.  So, who am I?  I am...

Seduction of Fame

...a choreographer.

Well, I was, just once.  It was 2005 and I was stage managing/technical directing/production managing (More on those in other posts.) for the Citrus Dance Company.  I asked the director if I might be able to choreograph a piece.  She said I could audition one.

So I found dancers that I knew I would enjoy working with and could tolerate for hours on end.  We put together the first little bit for the audition and it got accepted to be part of the Spring concert.

We continued working every week perfecting the dance and I remain, to this day, proud of what I put together.

Now, why did I want to choreograph?  Simple.  I had a dream about a film noir scene that was set to "Hotel California" by the Eagles.  When I woke up, I decided it would make a cool dance.  Keep in mind, while I had been stage managing dance concerts for years, I had zero choreography experience.  There was a lot of me asking dancers if they could even do "this twirly thing that goes whoosh whoosh followed by a jumpy jump".

They were all very patient with me and I am honored that other, real, choreographers allowed me to play one for a semester.

Here is the piece, "Seduction of Fame", in all her glory:


No comments:

Post a Comment